My Guide Website?
Bali: Tulamben Bay and the USAT Liberty Wreck Dive33 Reviews
Get up close to the wreck of the USAT Liberty on a dive experience at Tulamben Bay. Explore some of the best dive sites off the north-east coast of Bali with an experienced instructor and encounter the marine life and coral gardens along the way.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Bali:If youʻre booking your trip to Bali last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Bali: Full-Day Trip to Penglipuran Village and Bamboo Forest
- Bali: Sambangan Waterfalls Trekking, Sliding, & Jumping Trip
- Komodo Islands: Private 2-Day Tour on a Wooden Boat
- From Jakarta: Yogyakarta, Borobudur, Bromo, Ijen & Bali Tour
- Bali: Day Trip to East Nusa Penida, Atuh & Diamond Beach
- Dive the USAT Liberty wreck, ranked one of the top 15 dive sites in the world
- Experience the best beach entry scuba diving in Bali
- See the corals and marine life of the Rugged Wall, Batu Kelebit Reef and more
DescriptionFollowing pick-up from your hotel, journey to the village of Tulamben on the north-east coast of Bali, best known for its black beach covered with smooth, fist-size rocks. Upon arrival, head to Tulamben Bay to take part in a wreck dive and get close to the World War II cargo ship, the USAT Liberty. Located just 30 meters from the beach, the wreck measures an impressive 120 meters on a steeply sloping sandy bottom, with its top just 3 meters below the water surface. Sunk by torpedoes on January 11, 1942, the USAT Liberty was carrying rubber and railroad parts for war service across the Lombok Strait. The damage was critical, but 2 destroyers hitched her up and tried to tow her to the port at Singaraja. She was taking too much water, so the crew decided to run her up on the beach at Tulamben. The volcanic explosion of Gunung Agung in 1963 rolled her off the beach to the present location, breaking her in pieces along the way. Now completely covered with corals and home to hundreds of species of fish, the wreck is submerged to a maximum depth of 29 meters. Considered one of the best beach entry dive sites in Bali, the wreck of the USAT Liberty is just for starters! A 15-minute journey further east takes you to the Alamanda Reef and Batu Kelebit Reef. Travel by car 10 minutes west from Tulamben and you reach the village of Kubu, where access to the pristine Kubu Reef is easy. Night diving is especially popular, with an average visibility of 15 to 20 meters and water temperatures around 28 to 29 degrees Celsius. Join this diving adventure for a fantastic day in a unique area and get up close to the magnificent marine life along the way! Please note, this tour is only available to certified divers.
IncludesHotel pick-up and drop off All marine park entry fees All and any boat and porter fees Delicious lunch and light refreshments Free water, tea and coffee at the dive center Experienced dive instructor All dive equipment rental, including tanks and weight belts
- This activity is only for certified divers
- Please bring a towel and sunscreen
- Important note you must have at least 18 hours to rest and reduce nitrogen in your body before an upcoming flight
- Your exact pickup time will be confirmed via email one day before your trip
- The pickup area coverage includes central Nusa Dua, Jimbaran Beach, central Kuta, Legian, and Seminyak
- Remote areas such as Uluwatu/Pecatu, Canggu, and Ubud will require a small extra charge of US$27 for pickup/drop-off (per group cost)
- Participants have to be at least 10-years-old