Prohibited & Restricted Items
This may seem to be a boring subject, but you must read it if you are considering carrying any of these items in Indonesia.
Prohibited and restricted goods are goods which are prohibited or restricted for import into and export out of Indonesian territory without the approval of government agencies. The violation of these provisions will lead to action if you are caught.
Goods categorized as "prohibited and restricted" include:
- Explosive Materials
- Firearms and Ammunition
- Defined Books and Printed Materials
- Audio and/or Visual Recording Media
- Telecommunications Equipment
- Color Photocopy Parts and Equipment Thereof
- Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora and Parts Thereof
- Food and Beverages Not Registered at Department of Health
- Dangerous Materials
- Ozone-Depleting Substances and Goods Containing Ozone-Depleting Substances
- Culturally Valuable Goods
- Certain amounts of Rupiah in Cash
Narcotics Law of the Republic Indonesia No. 22 of 1997
Regulated types of narcotics include:
1. Opium (Papaver somniferum) Including its Plant, Ripe opium such as Opium Jicing and Jicingko
2. Erythroxylon cocca, Erythroxylon Cocca Including its plant, Cocca leaves and unripe cocca
8. Salts and derivatives
11. Mixture of Opium with other non-Narcotic substances
WARNING: it is ultimately prohibited to import into or export out of Indonesian territory, or to possess, keep, produce, process, use or deliver narcotics without the approval of concerned government agencies (Department of Health, Department of Industry and Trade, and Police Department). The violation of this provision shall be punished in accordance with the provision refered to in Narcotics Law No. 22 of 1997, with a maximum of death penalty or life imprisonment or maximum fine of Rp. 7.000.000.000,00 (Seven Billion Rupiah)
- Psychotropic Law of the Republic of Indonesia No. 5 of 1997
- Psychotropic the provision of Minister of Health of the Republic Indonesia No. 88/Menkes/Per/VII/97 on Distributions of psychotropic
- Psychotropic the provision of Minister of Health of the Republic of Indonesia No. 85/Menkes/Per/VII/97 on Export and Import of Psychotropic
Psychotropic substances are natural or synthetic matters, other than narcotics, which have proactive effect through a selective influence on the central nervous system, causing a specific impact on mental activities and behaviour.
Psychotropic substances are divided into four groups as follows :
- Group I, Brolamfetamina (DOB,DET) Ecstasy (MDM) etc
- Group II, Amfetamina, Metamfetamina, etc
- Group III, Amobarbital, Siklobarbital, etc
- Group IV, Diazepam, Etil amfetamina, etc
WARNING: It is ultimately prohibited to import into or export out of Indonesian territory, or to keep, produce, or distribute psychotropic substances except for research purposes and after having approval from Department of Health of the Republic of Indonesia c.q. Directorate General of Medicines and Food
Violation of this provision shall be punished in accordance with the provision refered to in Psychotropic Law No. 5 of 1997, with a minimum imprisonment of 4 (four) years and maximum of death penalty or life-long imprisonment and fine of Rp. 750.000.000,00
Pets and Livestock
In an effort to prevent rabies in Bali, authorities have been innoculating large numbers of animals. In line with this effort, pet dogs and cats are not allowed into Bali. Some people are advocating sending pets to Jakarta and then transporting them by road to Bali. This is still illegal. A few months ago, 8 dogs were discovered at the entry port of Gilimanuk, opposite Java. All the animals were destroyed.
Firearms and Ammunition
Firearm Law of Republic of Indonesia on the instruction of the President of the Republic of Indonesia No. 9 of 1976 on supervising and controlling of firearms.
Firearms and ammunition consist of:
- Firearms and parts thereof
- Cannons/flame-throwers and parts thereof
- Imitation of fire-arms, alarm pistols, starting pistols, tear gases-arms, electrical shock-arms, crossbows and the like, which can be used to threaten or shock, and parts thereof
- All kinds of weapon-filling ammunition/bullets
- Bullet shell/mantel cudgels
- Projectiles used for spreading dangerous gases
WARNING: It is ultimately prohibited to import into Indonesian territory firearms and ammunition without approval from the Police Department of the Republic of Indonesia.
Fireworks consist of:
- All types and sizes of fireworks
- Happy Crackers/Halic is a kind of firework that easily explodes.
WARNING: It is ultimately prohibited to import into Indonesian territory all kinds and sizes of fireworks and happy crackers.